Friday, May 14, 2010

I'm facing knee surgery and I can't exercise. What can I do to control my weight besides watching my diet?

I had foot surgury last year and I was concerned about the same thing. I put myself on a strict low-fat diet. I did 30 minututes of weights a day (no leg exercises), mostly dumbells. My foot was so swollen for months, I couldn't walk all summer.


My doctor put me on 200mg of topamax, which it turns out is a great appetite suppressant. Even though all I did was lay on that couch, I actually lost weight. Check out the linkI'm facing knee surgery and I can't exercise. What can I do to control my weight besides watching my diet?
swimming is really good, because the water supports your body and therefore doesnt put any pressure on your knee, ask your doctor if your allowed to kick and if not then you could just use your arms (you may need to keep your back end up with a pool noodle if you cant kick) either way, you will stay fit and the water may even speed up your recovery.I'm facing knee surgery and I can't exercise. What can I do to control my weight besides watching my diet?
You might be able to do sit-ups with a bad knee. Some people can, some can't. The best way, though, is to just watch what you eat.
there are exercises that are done from a sitting form. there is a little lady that comes on one of the cable channels. most of her exercises are done while sitting in a chair. that should help you until your knee recoups good luck..
I agree with torontopartyguy and also continue to watch what you eat. Hope your surgery goes well!
Breathing exercises and upper body. Use some dumbells while sitting on chair. It worked for me. Work your biceps, triceps, shoulders. You can still break a sweat and work your metabolism.
Use mini weights and maybe do a hop on your good leg. Dr. Hunt

No comments:

Post a Comment